Naylor's Hardware
    Naylor's Hardware

Naylor's History

Alonzo Drake Naylor was born in Hedgesville, VA in 1861 and left home to take a blacksmith's job in Keyser, WV in 1882.  In 1884 A.D. bought the blacksmith shop of the late Charles H. Sincell in Oakland, MD.  He soon branched out into buggies, wagons and pumps, and later hardware, plumbing, heating, tools, German siding, tinware, wood ceiling and numerous other lines.  When A.D. Naylor died in 1964, his business was 80 years old and he was 103!

Under the astute business leadership of A.D., the company became known as the "largest and most complete hardware dealer" within 50 miles.  The reputation was built on outstanding customer service and the slogan, "Naylor's Has It and Sells It For Less."

A.D. Naylor & Company has grown over the years and now includes three branch locations.  Our locations were opened as follows; Cumberland, MD in 1984 (initially in the White Oaks Shopping Center and later moving to it's current location along Industrial Blvd.), and our newest location at Elkins, WV in 2004.

Two of A.D. Naylor's great-grandchildren - Jan and Milton Naylor - are currently active in the business.

         Original Naylor Building, 1890

       A.D. Naylor Family, around 1904